Friday, September 19, 2014

HAFF's Perennial Investment

Thanks to Rhoda for the photo.
by Rhoda Beutler

My first introduction to HAFF was in 2006 as an ECHO intern who lived on campus and helped with agricultural programs that included planting, mapping, pruning, and watering many useful plants around the campus. Among them were fruit trees well-adapted to dry climates, leafy vegetables that grew in the form of a resilient bush, and forage plants that animals liked to eat.

I am now a missionary with Christian Veterinary Mission in Haiti and serve as a member of the HAFF US board. My work in agricultural networking takes me around the country but also frequently past HAFF. Whenever I stop by the HAFF campus, I check to see which fruit trees are bearing and how the other plants are doing. Part of this is just to enjoy the juicy carambola or tart red mombin when they are in season, but part is because there are other groups around the country who are interested in these same plants. To me it is very useful to know if those plants are still surviving at HAFF.

Last week I was at HAFF as a translator for Dr. Eric Anderson and their clinics for the HAFF staff families and also for the community Nan Don, beyond Grand Latanye. The morning of the clinic in Nan Don, we prepared about a hundred cuttings of chaya for Pastor Delès, who wanted to get chaya established around the church and in the community. Met Claude, HAFF's Project Healthy Family coordinator, who has long promoted chaya as a nutritious and tasty leafy vegetable, took charge of distributing the cuttings after he finished distributing chlorine solution for families to treat their drinking water.

Before I left, I harvested Nacedero, garlic chives, and three ornamental plants I wanted to establish for my housemates in Port au Prince. Nacedero is a hardy forage plant that came to ECHO from Central America and is great for restoring plant cover along streams, for reducing erosion through living hedgerows, but most of all for feeding to goats, cows, and chickens. I love to cook with garlic chives, and I know that once they are established in good soil in a yard, they are easy to harvest daily and use in any kind of meat, vegetable, or egg dish.

I also took note that many plants were thriving on the HAFF campus that could be a resource for another organization to diversify diets, provide food for animals, or brighten up a corner of a yard. Red Mombin produces a tart reddish-orange fruit about the size of a large grape during the summer months. The leaves are also a possible animal forage. African Moringa (stenopetala) has a larger leaf and tends to be a little more drought-tolerant than the more common moringa native to India (oleifera). Canistel grows as a beautiful tree casting heavy shade and produces a fruit similar to a cooked sweet potato that can be eaten fresh, made into a smoothie-like drink, or baked into breads or cakes. The mango varieties at HAFF have been shown to survive the climate over more than a decade and now serve as a source for grafting onto young trees in order to increase the availability of mangoes at the end of the season when other varieties have finished bearing. Starfruit survives well and is a refreshing and juicy snack as well as a good possibility for dried fruit. HAFF still has a cassava variety that was developed by a tropical research center named CIAT in Colombia. This high-vitamin A variety was introduced by World Vision into the region, and according to Ely, the HAFF farm manager, people in the area like it. Mulberry is good not only for the fruit but also as an animal forage.

As I left the HAFF campus with my pickup full of cuttings, I was part of the payoff from the investment HAFF made over the years in maintaining perennial crops like fruit trees and leafy vegetables. HAFF continues as a stable resource to community members, churches from the area, and other organizations. But HAFF’s biggest perennial investment remains the education and formation of strong Christian leaders for the region and the nation.

No comments: