Friday, January 02, 2015

Involved with HAFF 
Two Board Members Share Their Stories

Board Vice President
Abe Scheaffer
My first interest in HAFF grew from the relationship Colin and Carla Wilson had with the pastor of my church in Iowa. Our pastor invited the Wilsons to present about the ministry God has called them to in Haiti. That interaction developed into a team from the church taking a trip to HAFF in June, 2012. That time at HAFF allowed me to see the scope of what God is doing in Bohoc, how I could be involved, and He blessed me with many new friends who are brothers and sisters in Christ.

One of the most apparent characteristics of HAFF was and still is, the accessibility. I can get directly involved with Haitian brothers and sisters without any administrative obstructions. This direct involvement is refreshing and allows me to interact with several folks, whom I look forward to seeing and checking in with when God allows me to return to HAFF. The collaborative nature of discussion, planning, and strategy with the Executive Committee in Haiti is exactly the kind of "working alongside" a brother in Christ I have sought to find in being Jesus' hands and feet to the needs of the world. These Haitian brothers definitely fulfill the two-way street of ministry and collaboration, as I am very encouraged and my faith is built up by seeing their faithfulness to God.

Board President 
Rob Slaughter
I got involved in HAFF in perhaps an unusual way seven or eight years ago. Looking for a short-term agricultural missionary trip, I found ECHO (a Florida agricultural missionary training organization) in a Google search, called there, and was given the suggestion to contact HAFF. I made some calls and ended up talking to two of the HAFF missionaries, who were in the U.S. at the time. Without hesitation, they asked me to come to HAFF for a visit. Not knowing anything about me other than what I said on the phone, they were remarkably accommodating in helping me arrange the trip. This was a brief three-night introductory trip, not the agricultural trip I originally envisioned, but it didn't matter.

Unlike many first visits to HAFF, mine was not as part of a team led by someone who had been before. I traveled alone and showed up in nearby Pignon on the grass airfield to a very warm welcome. Shortly after arriving at the HAFF campus, I was hooked. I knew immediately that the missionaries were extraordinary Christians. And I was struck more than anything by the genuine focus on Christ. That was reflected in all aspects of the organization, from the Christian school for grades 7 to 13, to the community education ministries (including agriculture), to the medical mercy ministries. I was also struck by the great Christian faith of so many members of the impoverished families in the local Bohoc community who in one way or another were connected with HAFF. Their faith, expressed joyously despite their utter lack of any of the material blessings we take for granted, was astounding and profoundly affected me.

My life hasn't been quite the same since taking that trip. I've been back four times and will soon begin my fourth year on the HAFF Board. I'm convinced that going to HAFF, rather than merely reading or hearing about it, made all the difference. And unquestionably God orchestrated my first trip to HAFF. I suggest you pray to see if God is calling you to take a trip to HAFF. If you go, your life may never be the same either!

No comments: